One CGIAR Global Initiative:
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) joined the One Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) global initiative.
- One CGIAR global initiative aims to build a unified approach to transforming food, land, and water systems to address the challenges posed by climate crisis.
- This initiative involves the CGIAR System Organisation and 12 One CGIAR research centres.
- The CGIAR is a publicly-funded network of agrifood systems research centres, works for transforming food, land, and water systems in a climate crisis. It is working in over 80 countries.
- It is a non-profit, non-political public international research organisation that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia & sub-Saharan Africa.
- It helps farmers by providing improved crop varieties and hybrids and also helps smallholder farmers in the drylands fight climate change.
- It conducts research on five highly nutritious drought-tolerant crops: chickpea, pigeonpea, pearl millet, sorghum, and groundnut.
- It has been awarded 2021 Africa Food Prize for the Tropical Legumes Project that has improved food security across 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.