Arhtiyas : To Go On Indefinite Strike
The arhtiyas recently threatened to go on indefinite strike in the major fruit mandis in Himachal Pradesh to protest against the government’s decision to sell apples by weight.
- Arhtiyas” refers to commission agents or middlemen in the agricultural sector.
- Arhtiyas procure agricultural produce from farmers either directly from the farm or at local agricultural markets (mandis).
- They often provide credit to farmers to meet their immediate financial needs, including inputs for the next cropping season or personal expenses.
- Arhtiyas may offer warehousing facilities for the storage of agricultural commodities.
- They facilitate the sale of agricultural produce to wholesale buyers, such as government agencies or private traders, on behalf of the farmers.
- Arhtiyas charge a commission for their services, usually a percentage of the transaction valu The commission rates can vary depending on the region, crop, and prevailing market conditions.
- They play a significant role in the traditional agricultural marketing system, particularly in states like Punjab, Haryana, and Uttar Pradesh.