AsterX: France’s First Space Military Exercise:
Amid the growing competition among the world powers in the field of space, France has begun its first space military exercises to test its ability to defend its satellites.
- The exercise drills are codenamed “AsterX” to commemorate the first French satellite Asterix from 1965.
- The exercises are part of France’s strategy to become the world’s third-largest space power, after the USA and China.
- These space military exercises are the first-ever attempt not only for the French army but also for Europe.
- Moreover, France has planned to develop anti-satellite laser weapons and to strengthen surveillance capabilities to close the gap with rivals; China and Russia.
- Aim of the Exercise:
- To monitor a potentially dangerous space object as well as threats to its own satellite from another foreign power possessing a considerable space force.
- Participants: Along with France, the new US Space Force and German space agencies are taking part in the exercises.