Ban On Menthol Cigarettes And Flavored Cigars : US
The US Food and Drug Administration issued a proposal to ban menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars.
- India has not banned the sale of menthol cigarettes.
- In 2012, Brazil became the first country in the world to ban menthol cigarettes.
- In 2019, the Centre banned electronic cigarettes and in addition, different states have their own rules in place banning hookah consumption, including flavored hookahs, in public places.
- It aims to prohibit menthol as a characterizing flavor in cigarettes and prohibit all characterizing flavors (other than tobacco) in cigars.
- The proposed rules would help prevent children from becoming the next generation of smokers and help adult smokers quit.
- The proposed rules represent an important step to advance health equity by significantly reducing tobacco-related health disparities.
- The proposed ban does not cover electronic cigarettes.
- The rules will not be enforced against individual consumers for possession or use of menthol cigarettes or flavored cigars.
- The rules will only “address manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, importers and retailers who manufacture, distribute, or sell such products.