Birth Anniversary Of Satyendra Nath Bose:
The 129th birth anniversary of Satyendra Nath Bose has been celebrated On Jan 1 2023
- Satyendra Nath Bose was a Mathematician and physicist from India. Born on January 1, 1894, Bose collaborated with Einstein to develop what we now know as the Bose-Einstein statistics.
- He was appointed to the position of Reader in Physics at the University of Dhaka.
- It was here that he made his most significant contributions to physics.
- Bose designed equipment for setting up an X-ray crystallography laboratory at the university, and wrote several papers on a range of subjects, such as ‘D2 Statistics’, and ‘Total Reflection of Electromagnetic Waves in the Ionosphere’.
- In 1945, he left Dhaka to return to his alma mater, the University of Calcutta, as the Khaira Professor of Physics.
- He retired from the University of Calcutta in 1956 and spent a year as the Vice Chancellor at the Viswa-Bharati University.
- Bose was awarded Padma Vibhushan, one of the highest civilian awards in the country, by the Indian government in 1954.
- He served as president of many scientific institutions, which include the Indian Physical Society, National Institute of Science, Indian Science Congress, and the Indian Statistical Institute.
- He also acted as an advisor to the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, and later became a Fellow of the Royal Society.