Burmagomphus Chaukulensis : Rare Dragonfly
A rare dragonfly, Burmagomphus chaukulensis was spotted in Kerala.
- Earlier, a new species of dragonfly ‘Platygomphus benritarum’ was discovered in Assam.
- This is a dragonfly of genus Burmagomphus, which is represented by three species – B. Cauvericus, B. Pyramidalis and B. Laidlawi.
- While B. laidlawi is found throughout the Western Ghats,
- B. cauvericus is more restricted in its distribution.
- B. pyramidalis is found in the Western Ghats as well as in Peninsular India.
- All other species of the genus are found in the Western and Eastern Himalayas.
- The new species can be separated from its congeners by the markings on the lateral thorax and peculiar shape of anal appendages.
- This species is known to be endemic to the Western Ghats.