C-295 Aircraft Deal:
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has cleared procurement of 56 C-295 MW medium transport aircraft for the Indian Air Force under the Make-in-India initiative in the aerospace sector.
- The C-295MW aircraft will be purchased from Airbus Defence and Space S.A., Spain.
- Capacity: The C-295 MW is a transport aircraft of 5-10 tonne capacity with contemporary technology.
- It has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para-dropping of troops and cargo.
- It will be installed with the indigenous Electronic Warfare Suite.
- It will replace the Indian Air Force’s ageing fleet of Avro-748 planes.
- The Avro-748 planes are a British-origin twin-engine turboprop, military transport and freighter with a 6-tonne freight capacity.
- Project Execution:
- Airbus Defence and Space and Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) will jointly execute the project to equip the air force with the new transport aircraft under the Make-in-India initiative in the aerospace sector.
- Airbus will supply the first 16 aircraft in fly away condition while the remaining 40 will be assembled in India by TASL.