China-Horn Of Africa Peace, Governance And Development Conference:
First “China-Horn of Africa Peace, Governance and Development Conference.” was held.
- This is the first time China aims “to play a role in the area of security”.
- The conference held in Ethiopia witnessed the participation of foreign Ministries from the following countries of the Horn: Kenya, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, South Sudan, and Uganda.
- The Horn of Africa is a peninsula in Northeast Africa.
- Located on the easternmost part of the African mainland, it is the fourth largest peninsula in the world.
- It lies along the southern boundary of the Red Sea and extends hundreds of kilometres into the Guardafui Channel, Gulf of Aden, and Indian Ocean.
- The Horn of Africa is equidistant from the equator and the Tropic of Cancer.
- The Horn contains such diverse areas as the highlands of the Ethiopian Plateau, the Ogaden desert, and the Eritrean and Somalian coasts.
- The Horn of Africa denotes the region containing the countries of Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Somalia.
- The area has experienced imperialism, neo-colonialism, Cold War, ethnic strife, intra-African conflict, poverty, disease, famine and much else.