Digital Platform: FASTER
Chief Justice of India (CJI) launched the digital platform FASTER (Fast and Secured Transmission of Electronic Records).
- The Supreme Court has also launched other programmes involving technology like Artificial Intelligence (AI) based portal ‘SUPACE’ in the judicial system aimed at assisting judges with legal research.
- eCourts Mission Mode Project is a pan-India Project, monitored and funded by the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law and Justice, for the District Courts across the country.
- The objective of the project is to provide designated services to litigants, lawyers and the judiciary through ICT enablement of courts.
- FASTER Digital Platform is a digital platform to communicate interim orders, stay orders, bail orders etc., of the Supreme Court to authorities concerned through a secured electronic communication channel.
- There have been cases where jail inmates are not released despite bail orders passed by the Supreme Court due to delay in communication of such orders.
- So, it was needed to utilise information and communication technology tools for efficient transmission of court’s orders.
- It will help in preventing unnecessary arrests and custody of people even after the court had already granted them its protection.
- Ensure fundamental rights of personal liberty, life and dignity of the prisoners which is given under Article 21 of Constitution of India.