The Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL), run by GMR, announced the soft launch of the Centre’s DigiYatra initiative, rolling out the beta version of its app for Android platforms.
- The ‘DigiYatra’ is a Biometric Enabled Seamless Travel experience (BEST) based on Facial Recognition Technology.
- It aims to provide a paperless and seamless travel experience to the passengers.
- “DigiYatra is a unique initiative of the Government of India, coordinated by the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- DigiYatra envisages that travellers pass through various checkpoints at the airport through paperless and contactless processing, using facial features to establish their identity, which would be linked to the boarding pass.
- The DigiYatra Foundation will be the custodian of the passenger ID validation process.
- It will also define the criteria for compliance and guidelines for the local airport systems.