India will produce over 6cr bottles of Nano urea and make it available to farmers in 2022-23.
- Urea is chemical nitrogen fertilizer, white in colour, which artificially provides nitrogen, a major nutrient required by plants.
- Liquid nano urea is essentially urea in the form of a nanoparticle.
- It is a patented chemical nitrogen fertilizer produced by IFFCO.
- Nano urea is cheaper (Rs 240 for half litre without subsidy; the International market price of a bag of urea is between Rs 3,500 and Rs 4,000. A bottle of nano urea can effectively replace at least one bag of urea.
- Benefits for the government: Reduces fertilizer subsidy bill of government. India is dependent on imports of the widely used fertilizer.
- The efficiency of Nano urea can be as high as 85-90 per cent (Conventional urea has an efficiency of about 25 per cent).
- As Nano urea has higher surface-mass ratios that help in releasing nutrients to plants in a controlled manner.
- Nano urea has a shelf life of a year, and farmers need not be worried about “caking” when it comes in contact with moisture.
Benefits Of Nano urea:
- Fertilizers in nano form provide a targeted supply of nutrients to crops, as they are absorbed by the stomata, and pores found on the epidermis of leaves.
- Reduces the unbalanced and indiscriminate use of conventional urea.
- Increases crop productivity by 8%
- Reduces soil, water, and air pollution.