Exercise Sea Breeze:
Ukraine and the United States launched joint naval Exercise ‘Sea Breeze’ in the Black Sea in a show of Western cooperation with Ukraine as it faces off with Russia.
- The drills come just days after the British Royal Navy’s HMS Defender passed near Russian-annexed Crimea in the Black Sea.
- The exercise Sea Breeze has been held since 1997, involving NATO states and their allies in the Black Sea region.
- It has taken place 21 times since 1997. This edition (2021) will be the largest In Exercise’s history that will involve some 5,000 military personnel from more than 30 countries.
- The drill is aimed at improving naval and land operations and improving cooperation among participating counties.
- The exercise is also aimed at sending a powerful message to maintain stability and peace in the region.