Exercise Yudh Abhyas And Exercise Mitra Shakti:
Exercise Yudh Abhyas
- The 17th Indo-US Joint Military Exercise “Ex Yudh Abhyas 2021” was held at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska (US).
- In February 2021, the previous version of the exercise was held in Bikaner’s Mahajan Field Firing Ranges (Rajasthan).
- It is the largest running joint military training and defence cooperation endeavor between India and the US.
- The exercise was started in 2004 under the US Army Pacific Partnership Program. The exercise is hosted alternately between both countries.
- The exercise aims at enhancing understanding, cooperation and interoperability between two Armies.
- This will help them in undertaking joint operations at battalion level in mountainous terrain with cold climatic conditions under the ambit of the United Nations.
Exercise Mitra Shakti:
- The 8th Edition of joint military exercise between the Indian Army and the Sri Lankan Army, Exercise MITRA SHAKTI was conducted in Sri Lanka.
- The 7th edition of the Mitra Shakti exercise was held in Pune, Maharashtra in 2019.
- It is based on counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations in semi urban terrain.
- It is the largest bilateral exercise being undertaken by the Sri Lankan Army and it forms a major part of India and Sri Lanka’s growing defence partnership.
- The joint exercise is designed for incorporating the current dynamics of United Nations’ peacekeeping operations through tactical exercises and practical discussions.