GAGAN Satellite Technology:
The Prime Minister of India lauded Asia’s first demonstration of Performance-Based Navigation for helicopters for a flight from Juhu to Pune using GAGAN satellite technology.
- GAGAN satellite technology is the acronym for GPS Aided GEO Augmented Navigation.
- It is jointly developed by ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) and the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- It uses a system of ground stations to provide necessary augmentations to the GPS standard positioning service (SPS) navigation signal.
- It is designed to provide the additional accuracy, availability, and integrity necessary to enable users to rely on GPS for all phases of flight.
- It also provides the capability for increased accuracy in position reporting, allowing for more uniform and high-quality Air Traffic Management (ATM).
- In addition, GAGAN will provide benefits beyond aviation to all modes of transportation, including maritime, highways, and railroads.
- There are only four Space-Based augmentation systems available in the world namely India (GAGAN), US (WAAS,) Europe(EGNOS) and Japan (MSAS).