Green Energy Corridor (GEC) Phase-II:
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, has approved the Green Energy Corridor (GEC) Phase-II – Inter-State Transmission System (ISTS) for a 13 GW Renewable Energy Project in Ladakh.
- Green Energy Corridor (GEC) is an initiative aimed at integrating and evacuating renewable energy into India’s power grid, promoting sustainable growth, and enhancing energy security. It has two phases.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID) is Implementing Agency
- GEC-1 Implementation Already underway in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Rajasthan, aiming to integrate and evacuate 24GW of Renewable Energy (RE).
- GEC-2 Implementation Planned for seven states: Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh.
- Targeting grid integration and power evacuation of around 20 GW of RE projects over five years (FY 2021-22 to 2025-26).
- Objectives is to Synchronize renewable energy (wind and solar) with conventional power sources.