GSMA Government Leadership Award 2023:
GSM Association (GSMA) has conferred Government Leadership Award 2023 to India for implementing best practices in telecom policy and regulation.
- The Minister for Communications, Electronics & IT and Railways, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw said “GSMA Awards represent global recognition of the telecom reforms carried out by PM Shri Narendra Modi ji.
- More than 85% mobile tower clearances are now instantaneous.
- With nearly 1 Lakh sites in 387 districts, India’s 5G roll-out is one of the fastest in the world.
- Indian telecom sector has emerged as a sunrise sector and the whole world has taken note of this rise.”
- GSMA, which represents more than 750 mobile operators and 400 companies in the telecom ecosystem, recognizes one country every year.
- India was declared winner in the ceremony held at Mobile World Congress Barcelona on 27 Feb, 2023.
- It is an association with more than 1200 companies as members. It was formed in 1995 to support mobile operators in the world.
- The GSMA organises the Mobile World Congress. More than 100,000 visitors attend the congress.
- In 2019, the congress was recognised as the Guinness World Record for the fourth time.
- It was recognised for holding the largest carbon-neutral tradeshow.