Soul of Steel Challenge:
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh recently kick-started the ‘Soul of Steel’ alpine challenge, an initiative to promote tourism in border areas, at an event in Dehradun coinciding with Veterans Day.
- The ‘Soul of Steel’ expedition will test one’s high-altitude endurance and adventure in Uttarakhand’s Garhwal Himalayas.
- It will initially have 12 Indian participants plus six international teams, between the age group of 18 and 30 years.
- The challenge will be spread across three months.
- It is being organized by CLAW Global, an entity comprising a group of veterans.
- The Indian Army is supporting the adventure challenge.
- It is based on the lines of the ‘Ironman triathlon’, a long-distance triathlon held in Europe which tests an individual’s physical capabilities.
- Participants will be selected through a detailed screening and training model through traditional and modern standards.
- The initiative is aimed at enabling life skill training and youth development.
- It is also expected to boost global promotion of adventure tourism in Uttarakhand.