Gujarat ‘Madhavpur Mela’:
President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated the annual Madhavpur Mela. It is a five-day cultural fair that is held in Madhavpur, the coastal village, located 60 kilometers south of Porbandar.
- This festival celebrates the marriage of Lord Krishna with Rukmini.
- This marriage is said to have taken place in Madhavpur.
- It is said that Rukmini was from the present-day Arunachal Pradesh.
- On Ram Navami, Madhavpur Mela begins.
- Ram Navami is the day that marks the birth of Lord Rama.
- A Madhavrai temple of the 15th-century marks the site of this fair.
- Every year during this event a cultural fair is also held.
- A chariot is decorated colourfully and it carries the idol of Lord Krishna around the village.
- The festivities are usually held for a period of five days.