Hallmarking Of Gold:
The government has announced the phased implementation of mandatory hallmarking of gold jewellery with effect from June 16.
- In the first phase, gold hallmarking will be available only in 256 districts and jewellers having annual turnover above Rs 40 lakh will come under its purview.
- Hallmarking is the “accurate determination and official recording of the proportionate content of precious metal in precious metal articles.”
- So, it is like a “guarantee of purity or fineness” of precious metal articles.
- The Bureau of Indian Standard (BIS) operates a gold and silver hallmarking scheme in India.
- Metals covered under the purview of hallmarking:
- Gold jewellery and gold artefacts.
- Silver jewellery and silver artefacts.