Haploclastus Nilgirinus : Species Of Tarantula
Researchers said that the Haploclastus nilgirinus a species of tarantula could be under threat from habitat loss and climate change.
- Haploclastus nilgirinus is an elusive Nilgiri large burrowing spider and a venomous species of tarantula.
- It is endemic to the Nilgiris hills of Western Ghats.
- It shows sexual dimorphism, the males are much smaller than the females.
- It is threatened by the illegal trade in wildlife as well as by climate change,
- Tarantulas are a type of large, hairy spider belonging to the family Theraphosidae.
- There are over 900 species of tarantulas found all over the world, except for Antarctica.