India Assumes UNSC Presidency:
India assumed the presidency of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the month of August 2021.
- This will be the country’s first presidency during its 2021-22 tenure as a non-permanent member of the Security Council.
- India began its two-year tenure as a non-permanent member of the UNSC in January 2021.
- This is India’s eighth term on the UNSC.
India’s UNSC Presidency:
- India will decide the UN body’s agenda for the month and coordinate important meetings on a range of issues.
- It is going to organise key events in three major areas of maritime security, peacekeeping and counter-terrorism.
- The Security Council will also have on its agenda several important meetings including Syria, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen, and the Middle East.
- The Security Council will also be adopting important resolutions on Somalia, Mali, & United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon.
- Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi will be the first Indian PM to preside over a meeting of the UNSC.
- The last time an Indian PM was engaged in this effort was the then PM PV Narasimha Rao in 1992 when he attended a UNSC meeting.