India Ransomware Report 2022:
The Computer Emergency Response Team of India (CERT-In) has reported that ransomware attacks are not only motivated by money but also by geopolitical conflicts.
- Ransomware is a type of malicious software or malware that is designed to block access to a computer system, network, or data until a ransom is paid.
Major findings :
- The number of reported ransomware attacks in India in 2022 was 53% higher than in 2021
- Target Ransomware attacks targeted critical infrastructure organizations to disrupt services and extract ransom payments
Sector most impacted The IT/ITeS sector in India was the most impacted by ransomware attacks, followed by the finance and manufacturing sectors
- Most prevalent variants Lockbit was the most prevalent ransomware variant in India, followed by Makop and DJVU/Stop, Makop and Phobos; Vice Society and BlueSky were new variants
- The RaaS (Ransomware-as-a-service) ecosystem is becoming more prominent, allowing even non-technical individuals to launch ransomware attacks
- The restoration time is about 10 days for infections in reasonably large infrastructure networks