International Migration Review Forum:
The First International Migration Review Forum (IMRF) is being held under the UN General Assembly (UNGA) in New York, USA. It started on May 17th and will end on May 20th.
- In the “Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM)”, it was decided that the IMRF will act as a platform to discuss the progress on implementation of all aspects of the GCM and its intersection with the UN SDGs.
- IMRF provides an opportunity for the international community to identify the challenges faced by migrants.
- It will also recognize the contributions made by migrants to society.
- IMRF will be held every four years, with the 2022 edition being the first one. Each edition of the IMRF will result in the adoption of the Progress Declaration.
- IMRF will be chaired by the President of the UN General Assembly (UNGA).
- Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration (GCM), adopted in 2018, is the first inter-governmentally negotiated agreement prepared under the UN, which covers all aspects of migration.
- GCM recognizes and respects the sovereign right of a nation to determine who will enter and stay in their territory.
- But the GCM also advocates the need to protect the human rights of all migrants.