Ukraine’s capital region was struck by Iranian-made kamikaze drones.
- These kamikaze drones are not new, and have also been supplied by the US to Ukraine in its ongoing war with Russia.
- These are small unmanned aircraft that are packed with explosives that can be flown directly at a tank or a group of troops that are destroyed when it hits the target and explodes.
- They are called Switchblade because their bladelike wings spring out on launch.
- The drones have the capability of going past traditional defences to strike its targets and also cost a fraction of what the larger counterparts do.
- These small lethal drones are difficult to detect on radar, and they can even be programmed to hit targets without human intervention, based on facial recognition.
- Although the Kamikaze might be the most advanced form of this genre of drones, Russia, China, Israel, Iran and Turkey all have some version of it.