Koilastila Gas Field : Bangladesh
Bangladesh has discovered a new gas field with the capacity to produce 20 million cubic feet of gas per day (MMCFD) at the Koilastila Gas field.
- Koilastila Gas Field is one of the five gas fields purchased from the Shell Oil company by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975
- So far 7 wells have been drilled in the Koilastila gas field of Sylhet Gas Fields Limited (SGFL).
- The first gas field in Bangladesh was made in Sylhet in 1955.
- Bangladesh currently produces 2370 MMCFD from its 26 commercial gas fields out of which 85 percent comes from the top 4 gas fields. Bibiyana Gas Field and Titas Gas field are its major locations for production of gas.
- It is estimated that Bangladesh has a remaining gas reserve of 11 trillion cubic feet.