National Manufacturing Innovation Survey (NMIS) 2021-22:
The secretary of the Department of Science and Technology (Ministry of Science & Technology) released the “National Manufacturing Innovation Survey (NMIS) 2021-22: Summary for Policymakers.
- National Manufacturing Innovation Survey (NMIS) is a joint study by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Aim of the survey is to evaluate the innovation performance of manufacturing firms in India.
- It had two specific components:
- Firm-level survey: It captured data related to types of innovations and innovative measures taken by firms, including the process of innovation, access to finance, resources, and information for innovation etc.
- Sectorial System of Innovation (SSI) survey: It mapped the manufacturing innovation system and its enabling role in achieving innovations in firms.
- The SSI study measured the convergence or divergence of current policy instruments in select five key manufacturing sectors important to the Indian economy – textiles; food & beverage; automotive; pharma; and ICT.
- The first National Innovation Survey was held in 2011.