GI Tag To Mithila Makhana:
Union government has awarded Geographical Indication (GI) tag to Mithila Makhana.
- Mithila Makhana or Makhan (botanical name: Euryale ferox Salisb.) is a special variety of aquatic fox nut cultivated in Mithila region of Bihar and Nepal.
- Once a product gets this tag, any person or company cannot sell a similar item under that name. This tag is valid for a period of 10 years following which it can be renewed.
- Makhana is the one of the three prestigious cultural identity of Mithila. Pan, Makhan and Machh (fish) are the three prestigious cultural identity of Mithila.
- In Mithila, Makhana is also termed as Makhan. It is also very famous in Kojagara festival of Maithil Brahmins celebrated for newly married couples.
- Makhana contains protein and fiber, along with micronutrients like calcium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus.