Middle East Green Initiative Summit 2022:
Union Minister for Environment Forest and Climate Change attended the Middle East Green Initiative Summit 2022 at COP 27 Egypt
- The Middle East Green Initiative aims to reduce carbon emissions from regional hydrocarbon production by more than 60%.
- It also plans to plant 50 billion trees across the Middle East and restore an area equivalent to 200 million hectares of degraded land.
- The initiative will help reduce global carbon levels by 2.5%.
- The first Middle East Green Initiative (MGI) Summit was hosted by HRH Mohammed bin Salman, Crown Prince and Prime Minister in Riyadh on 25 October 2021.
- It facilitated a first-of-its-kind regional dialogue on climate, with leaders in attendance from 28 countries agreeing to work together to tackle climate change.
- Saudi Arabia plans to rely on renewables for 50% of its electricity generation by 2030, , removing 44 million tonnes of carbon emissions by 2035.