Pradhan Mantri Khanij Kshetra Kalyan Yojana (PMKKKY):
Over 1 lakh welfare projects completed in mining areas under PMKKKY
- The Ministry of Mines launched PMKKKY in 2015 for the welfare of areas and people affected by mining-related operations, using the funds generated by District Mineral Foundations (DMFs).
- to implement various developmental and welfare projects in mining affected areas, complementing the existing ongoing schemes of State and Central Government;
- to minimize/mitigate the adverse impacts, during and after mining, on the environment, health and socio-economics of people in mining districts; and
- to ensure long-term sustainable livelihoods for the affected people in mining areas.
- It will be implemented by DMFs of the respective districts using the funds accruing to the DMF.
- The Mines and Minerals (Development & Regulation) Amendment Act, 2015, mandated the setting up of DMFs in all districts in the country affected by mining related operations.
- The Central Government has notified the rates of contribution payable by miners to the DMFs.
- In case of all mining leases executed before 12th January, 2015 miners will have to contribute an amount equal to 30% of the royalty payable by them to the DMFs. If mining leases are granted after 12.01.2015, the rate of contribution would be 10% of the royalty payable.
- Utilisation of Funds:
- At least 60% of PMKKKY funds to be utilized for High priority areas such as Drinking water supply, Health care, Education, Environment preservation etc.
- Up to 40% of the PMKKKY to be utilized for other priority areas such as- Physical infrastructure,Irrigation, Energy and Watershed Development etc.