Nayagarh Kanteimundi Brinjal : GI Tag
Nayagarh Kanteimundi Brinjal received a GI Tag.
- Nayagarh Kanteimundi Brinjal is known for its prickly thorns on the stems and the whole plant.
- The green and round fruits contain more seeds as compared to other genotypes.
- It is famous for its unique taste and relatively short quick cooking time.
- The plants are resistant to major insects.
- They can be grown with minimal pesticide.
- It is being widely cultivated in Nayagarh district of the state.
- The growers are getting a yield of up to 200 quintals per hectare and selling at around Rs 60 per kg.
- Historical records also suggest that the locals got the brinjal from the hilly areas.
- They collected seeds from it and started raising seedlings nearly 100 years ago.