Point Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary : Bird Census 2023
During Bird Census 2023 conducted by the Tamil Nadu Forest Department at Point Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary as many as 69 species of terrestrial birds were observed.
- Point Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary was established in the year of 1967 and is situated in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- It houses the famous bird sanctuary of Vedaranyam and the Talaignayar forests.
- It is flanked by the Bay of Bengal in the east, and Palk Strait in the south.
- It primarily focuses on the protection and conservation of the black antelopes, an endangered and endemic species that are found in this region.
- It is designated as a Ramsar site.
- Flora: It has mangroves, tropical evergreen forests, and grassland ecosystems.
- Fauna: Wild boar, macaque, black buck, chital, Great flamingo, Painted Stork, Little Stint, Seagull and Brown-headed gull are normally found in the sanctuary.