Asian Waterbird Census 2023:
A recent detailed assessment of the survey conducted in the northern parts of Alappuzha, as part of the Asian Waterbird Census 2023 revealed that a shift in migration patterns of waterbirds appears to be taking place.
- In the recent survey, it is revealed that Duck species sighted in previous surveys were missing this time.
- The most shocking aspect was that duck species like Northern Shoveler, Common teal and Eurasian wigeon, sighted in the previous surveys, were totally missing this time around.
Main birds which were sighted during the census:
- It is mainly found in freshwater rivers and ponds.
- Conservation status IUCN: Near Threat
- Conservation status IUCN: Least Concern
- It breeds in southern Asia from southern Iran across India east to Indonesia.
- Conservation status IUCN: Near Threatened
- Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972: Schedule IV