Prime Minister Of India Gift To Japanese Prime Minister:
The Prime Minister of India presented a sandalwood Buddha statue to Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida during the latter’s two-day state visit to India.
- Sandalwood Buddha statue made of pure sandalwood, has hand carvings along with traditional designs and natural scenes.
- In this posture, Buddha is sitting in ‘dhyana mudra’ under the Bodhi tree.
- The ‘dhyana mudra’ is the mudra of meditation and the attainment of spiritual perfection.
- According to tradition, this mudra derives from the one assumed by the Buddha when meditating under the Bodhi tree before his enlightenment.
- The obverse of the image has an intricate carving of the Bodhi tree.
- The Kadamwood Jali Box in which the statue was encased is also considered auspicious in Indian culture.
- The art of sandalwood carving is an exquisite and ancient craft that has been practised in Karnataka for centuries.