The union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers and Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India launched the Scheme for promotion of Research and Innovation in Pharma MedTech Sector (PRIP).
- PRIP scheme is to transform Indian pharmaceuticals sector from cost based to innovation-based growth by strengthening the research infrastructure in the country.
- To promote industry-academia linkage for R&D in priority areas and to inculcate the culture of quality research and nurture our pool of scientists.
- This will lead to sustained global competitive advantage and contribute to quality employment generation in the country.
- Time period: Five years (2023-24 to 2027-28).
- The scheme has two components-
- Component A:Strengthening the research infrastructure by establishment of 7 Centre of Excellence (CoEs) at National Institutes of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPERs). -These CoEs would be set up in pre identified areas with a financial outlay of Rs 700 Crores.
- Component B: Promoting research in pharmaceutical sector by encouraging research in six priority areas like New Chemical Entities, Complex generics including biosimilars, medical devices, stem cell therapy, orphan drugs, Anti-microbial resistance etc.,
- Financial assistance will be provided for the Industries, MSME, SME, Startups working with government institutes and for both in- house and academic research.