Yard 11880, the sixth and last submarine of the Indian Navy’s Kalvari class submarines of Project 75 has been launched at the Kanhoji Angre Wet Basin of Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL).
- Dr Ajay Kumar, Defence Secretary was the Chief Guest at the ceremony and the submarine has been named ‘Vagsheer’.
- The Kalvari class is a class of diesel-electric attack submarines based on the Scorpène-class submarine being built for the Indian Navy.
- The submarines are designed by French naval defence and energy company DCNS and are being manufactured by Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai.
- The first of the Project – 75 submarines was commissioned into the Navy in December 2017 and presently four submarines of this Project are in commission in the Indian Navy.
- The fifth submarine is progressing with the Sea Trials and is likely to be delivered this year.
- The sixth submarine will now commence setting to work of various equipment and their harbour trials.
- The crew will thereafter sail the submarine for the rigorous Sea Acceptance Trials after which the submarine would be delivered to the Indian Navy by late next year.