Rashtriya Gokul Mission:
The Gir indigenous cow breed is being promoted under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission.
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission has been implemented for the development and conservation of indigenous bovine breeds since December 2014.
- It is continued under the umbrella scheme Rashtriya Pashudhan Vikas Yojana from 2021 to 2026.
- To enhance the productivity of bovines and increase milk production in a sustainable manner using advanced technologies.
- To propagate the use of high genetic merit bulls for breeding purposes.
- To enhance artificial insemination coverage through strengthening the breeding network and delivery of Artificial insemination services at farmers’ doorstep.
- To promote indigenous cattle & buffalo rearing and conservation in a scientific and holistic manner.
About Gir Cow:
- It is a dairy cattle breed well-known among milk producers.
- It is known for its milk producing ability, good fertility, heat tolerance, easy maintenance, resistance to diseases, and longevity.
- The name of the breed is derived from its place of origin, the “Gir” forest of Gujarat.
- It has the ability to adapt to the entire central belt and northern and southern stretches.