Sabarmati River Front Development Phase 2:
The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation, in its draft budget for 2021-22, has set aside Rs 1,050 crore for the Sabarmati River Front Development phase 2, work on which is to begin soon.
- Sabarmati Riverfront is a waterfront being developed along the banks of the Sabarmati river in Ahmedabad.
- Proposed in the 1960s, the construction began in 2005.
- The major objectives of the project are environment improvement, social infrastructure, and sustainable development.
- By channeling the river to a constant width of 263 m along the part that passes Ahmedabad city, 204 hectares have been reclaimed along the 11-km stretch of the Sabarmati Riverfront in the first phase of the project, on both the banks.
- The Sabarmati river is one of the major west-flowing rivers in India.
- It originates in the Aravalli Range of the Udaipur District of Rajasthan and meets the Gulf of Khambhat of the Arabian Sea after traveling 371 km in a south-westerly direction across Rajasthan and Gujarat.