Sanchar Saathi Portal:
Union Minister of Communications recently launched a citizen-centric Sanchar Saathi portal.
- Sanchar Saathi portal aims to provide various reforms and services related to mobile connections and telecommunications.
- It has been developed by C-DoT under the Department of Tele-communications (DoT) to prevent frauds such as identity theft, forged KYC, banking frauds etc.
- The portal allows mobile phone users to:
- Check the connections registered on their names,
- Report fraudulent or unrequired connections,
- Block the mobile phones which are stolen/lost,
- Check IMEI genuineness before buying a mobile phone,
- The three reforms are being introduced as part of the portal’s framework:
- CEIR (Central Equipment Identity Register): It enables the tracking and blocking of lost or stolen phones anywhere in the country.
- Know your mobile connections: It allows users to check the number of mobile connections issued in their name by logging in using their mobile number. This feature helps identify any unauthorized or unwanted connections, which can be blocked immediately.
- ASTR (Artificial Intelligence and Facial Recognition powered Solution for Telecom SIM Subscriber Verification): This AI-based technology facilitates mobile connection analysis and includes features such as IMEI-based phone theft information messaging to law enforcement agencies and the owner.