Saryu Canal National Project:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Saryu Canal National Project in Balrampur district of Uttar Pradesh.
- The project involves interlinking of five rivers – Ghaghara, Saryu, Rapti, Banganga and Rohin.
- The Saryu Canal National Project starts from the Saryu Barrage at Bahraich.
- The main canal is 318 km long and many sub canals with a length of over 66 hundred kilometres have been linked to it.
- The project has been completed at a cost of around 10,000 crore rupees, of which around 50 percent funds were made available in the last four years.
- The project will provide assured water for irrigation purposes for over 14 lakh hectares of land and will benefit about 29 lakh farmers in over 6200 villages.
- It will benefit nine districts in Eastern Uttar Pradesh – Bahraich, Shravasti, Balrampur, Gonda, Siddharthnagar, Basti, Sant Kabir Nagar, Gorakhpur and Maharajganj.