A research team from Italy has detected an elusive black galaxy, dubbed ‘invisible galaxy’ using ALMA.
- Dark Galaxy is a hypothesized galaxy with no, or very few, stars.
- They received their name because they have no visible stars, but may be detectable if they contain significant amounts of gas.
- Scientists used the Gravitational Lensing Technique to discover the galaxy. The technique is generally used to detect dark matter.
- ALMA (Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array) is a state-of-the-art telescope to study light from some of the coldest objects in the Universe.
- The telescope can catch the millimetre or submillimeter-sized wavelengths emitted by Cold objects (earliest and most distant galaxies in the Universe)
- The telescope (situated in the Atacama desert, Chile, South America) is an international collaboration including teams from Europe, Japan, the US, Canada, Chile