The Centre on Monday launched indigenously-developed AVGAS 100 LL, a special aviation fuel meant for piston engine aircraft and unmanned ariel vehicles.
- The fuel has been developed by Indian Oil Corporation.
- Avgas or aviation gasoline is an aviation fuel that powers spark-ignited combustion engines in aircraft.
- It is different from conventional gasoline (petrol) used in motor vehicles as it contains tetraethyl lead, which is a highly toxic substance used to prevent engine knocking (premature detonation).
- It is a higher-octane Aviation fuel meeting the product specifications with superior performance quality standards, as compared to imported grades.
- The indigenous availability of AV GAS 100 LL will help reduce dependence on imports and address the associated logistical challenges.
- Country will be able to save precious foreign exchange with the in-house availability of this product.