SITA Passenger Service System:
National carrier Air India has notified its passengers of a data breach that occurred in February 2021 at the SITA passenger service system.
- The airline said the breach involved data of 45 lakh passengers being leaked.
- SITA or Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques is a multinational information technology company providing IT and telecommunication services to the air transport industry.
- The company was started in 1949 by 11 member airlines and now has over 2,500 customers in more than 200 countries.
- It is Headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Air India had entered into a deal with SITA in 2017 to upgrade its IT infrastructure to enable it to join Star Alliance.
- At Air India, SITA also implemented an online booking engine, departure control system, check-in, and automated boarding control, baggage reconciliation system, and the frequent flyer program.