The Sulina Channel has provided Ukraine with an alternative trade route for its grain after Russia withdrew from the Black Sea grain deal.
- Russia, targeted ports and grain storage facilities along the Danube River in Ukraine in overnight drone strikes on August 16, 2023.
- Russia also withdrew from the Black Sea grain deal in July 2023.
- Amidst this, the Danube Delta has provided Ukraine with an alternative passage in the form of the Sulina Channel to help secure its grain requirements.
- Location Southeastern part of Romania.
- Length: approximately 64 km long.
- It connects the Danube River, with the Black Sea. (Loss of the ‘Moskva’ & Black Sea)
- It provides a direct route for maritime transportation
- The construction of the Sulina Channel dates back to the 19th century.
- It was developed to improve the navigation of large ships and vessels in and out of the Danube Delta.