Supersonic Missile-Assisted Torpedo System: DRDO
A supersonic missile-assisted torpedo system developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was successfully launched from Wheeler Island in Odisha.
- The system is a next-generation missile-based stand-off torpedo delivery system. During the mission, full-range capability of the missile was successfully demonstrated.
- The system has been designed to enhance anti-submarine warfare capability far beyond the conventional range of the torpedo.
- The missile carried a torpedo, parachute delivery system and release mechanisms.
- This canister-based missile system consists of advanced technologies — two-stage solid propulsion, electro-mechanical actuators and precision inertial navigation.
- The missile is launched from a ground mobile launcher and it can cover a range of distances.
- While a number of DRDO laboratories developed various technologies for this system, industry participated in the development and production of various sub-systems.