The Election Commission Of India (ECI) Organized A Two-Say SVEEP:
The Election Commission of India (ECI) organized a two-day SVEEP (Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation) Consultation Workshop.
- SVEEP Started in 2009, as the flagship program of the ECI for voter education.
- Primary goal is to build an inclusive & participative democracy by encouraging all eligible citizens to vote and make an informed decision & ethical choice.
About Election Commission of India:
- An autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering Union and State election processes in India.
- Administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and State Legislative Assemblies and the offices of the President and Vice President.
- Part XV of the Indian constitution deals with elections, and establishes a commission for these matters.
- Article 324 to 329 of the constitution deals with powers, function, tenure, eligibility, etc of the commission and the members.
- Originally, it had only one election commissioner but after the Election Commissioner Amendment Act 1989, it has been made a multi-member body.
- Presently, it consists of one Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) and two Election Commissioners (ECs) – appointed by the President.
- They hold office for a term of 6 years or until they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.