The Fairbank’s Disease:
The Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, informed Rajya Sabha about the Cases of Fairbank’s disease and Acromegaly in India.
- The Fairbank’s disease (Multiple epiphyseal dysplasia) patient usually requires management of pain and orthopedic procedures, for which facilities are available at tertiary care institutions in India.
- Another rare disorder, Acromegaly is caused by excessive secretion of growth hormone, most often from a tumor in the pituitary gland.
- The disorder causes increased height when it manifests in childhood and adolescent age group, before the fusion of bony epiphysis.
- The somatostatin drug used for Acromegaly, is a scheduled drug as per the National List of Essential Medicines 2015.
- Therefore, the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority has fixed the ceiling price.