Thomas Cup 2022:
India’s men’s badminton team won the Thomas Cup title for the first time ever.
- India have defeated the 14-time champions Indonesia. The tournament was held in Bangkok (Thailand).
- Thomas Cup, trophy signifies the world supremacy in the sport of badminton.
- It is a 16-nation team event.
- The cup was donated in 1939 by Sir George Thomas for a series of men’s international team competitions to be managed by the International Badminton Federation (IBF), of which Thomas was then president.
- The first tournament was held in 1948–49 and won by Malaya.
- Thomas and Uber Cup is the biennial international badminton championship contested by the men and women’s national teams.
- India’s Win: In the tournament’s seven-decade-long history, the championship title has changed hands only among five nations – China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan and Denmark.
- With its win, India became only the sixth country ever to break into this elite club.