Trichoglossum : New Fungal Species
Researchers recently discovered a new fungus species in Kerala named Trichoglossum syamviswanathii.
- Trichoglossum is a genus of fungus classified within the family Geoglossaceae (Ascomycota), commonly known as “hairy earth tongues” fungus due to their numerous filaments resembling mushrooms.
- They are black, dark, or brown in colour.
- They exhibit saprotrophic behavior but can also be found as endophytes in plant roots.
- 55 Trichoglossum genera have been identified globally. Of these, 21 are recognized species.
- They are globally distributed in tropical and temperate forests at least five out of seven continents of the world.
- They play a critical role in the decomposition of organic matter.