Obelisks : Virus-Like Entities
Scientists recently uncovered a never-before-seen class of virus-like entities named obelisks in the human body.
- Obelisks is a newly discovered class of virus-like entities present in the human body.
- It comprises a class of diverse RNAs that have colonized and gone unnoticed in human and global microbiomes
- Named after the highly symmetrical, rod-like structures formed by their twisted lengths of RNA, the Obelisks’ genetic sequences are only around 1,000 characters (nucleotides) in size.
- These mysterious bits of genetic material have no detectable sequences or even structural similarities known to any other biological agents.
- They’re also significantly larger than other genetic molecules that coexist inside cells, from plants to bacteria, called plasmids, which are more commonly composed of DNA.
- Obelisks represent their own class of organism. They lie somewhere between viruses and viroids.
- Although the hosts of other obelisks remain unknown, there is a possibility that some of them may be found in bacteria.
- Different types of Obelisks appear to be present in different areas of our bodies.