United Nations General Assembly:
The President of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), praised India for its contributions to the global body.
- He described India as a “source of pride” not only for South Asia but for all peace-loving democracies.
- India was 1st country to raise Apartheid issue at UN.
- More than 2 lakh troops to 49 UN peacekeeping missions.
- India (in 2007) was the 1st country to deploy all women contingent to UN mission in Liberia.
- He acknowledged the crucial role India played during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- India not only recovered from the disease itself but even assisted several other countries and acted as a “pharmacy of the world”.
- UNCTAD: India was instrumental in setting up of UNCTAD (1964)
- India drafted Comprehensive Convention on international Terrorism.
- India is collaborating with G4 and L69 countries on reform and expansion of UN security council.
United Nations General Assembly (UNGA):
- The General Assembly is the main deliberative, policymaking and representative organ of the UN.
- The President of the General Assembly is elected each year by assembly to serve a one-year term of office.